Thursday, May 24, 2012

Imagery

Definition: Figurative language that gives images for each type of sense. The seven types of imagery are tactile, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, kinesthetic and organic imagery.
Example: Tactile: I could feel the smooth picnic blanket spread beneath me. Visual: It was a checkered red and white. Auditory: I heard the birds chirping and leaves bristling. Olfactory: I smelled all of the food my mother cooked, mixed with the smell of pine from the trees. Gustatory: I could almost taste the juicy sandwiches of beef and turkey in my mouth. Kinesthetic: I tripped on a rock, stumbled for a few steps, and then fell on the ground. Organic: My heart felt so light and free being outside in the open.
Significance: Imagery is important because it gives the reader a better mental picture about the setting of the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment